NEW ZEALAND SENDS 1ST FULL TEAM TO HYUNDAI ARCHERY WORLD CUP STAGE

Just three out of the 16 archers on the squad have previous international experience.

For the first time in the 12-year history of the Hyundai Archery World Cup, New Zealand has sent a full 16-athlete squad to a stage, to compete in the opening leg of the 2018 circuit in Shanghai, China.

Recurve woman Sarah Fuller and compound archers Marcus Barclayand Elizabeth Randle are the only three athletes with previous international target archery experience, with Sarah and Marcus having competed at the tournament in Shanghai before.

“Having company from the same country makes everything a lot easier,” said 21-year-old Marcus. “It’s great having everyone around you, who can be with you while you are shooting or back at the hotel.”

Many athletes on the team have more field archery experience.

“For many of us this is our first international event. I have done some field events before but target is all new for me,” said compound man Rynard van Tonder. “I always thought that target archery was boring, standing in one spot shooting, but once I started trying [it], it’s actually really addictive.”

“One of my reasons to come here is to promote archery in New Zealand more to get people into it.”

Brian Rowe added that having the three on the team who’d been to an international event before really helped the squad understand what to expect, while Hanlie Bam said that shooting next to archers they’d only seen online previously was an “awesome and valuable experience”.

New Zealand’s full squad at the first leg of the Hyundai Archery World Cup in 2018:

The first stage of the Hyundai Archery World Cup takes place in Shanghai, China on 23-29 April.

Retrieved April 24, 2018, from https://worldarchery.org/news/157604/new-zealand-sends-1st-full-team-hyundai-archery-world-cup-stage

You May Also Like

About the Author: Brian